Home remedies for Sleep
This article is about sleep problems and some of the home and herbal remedies that can be followed by all for better health.
Sleep: The natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored.
Disturbed sleep: Showing symptoms of emotional illness. People, who have problems of disturbed sleep, do not have an idea as to what is disturbing their sleep.
Causes: A disturbed sleep pattern, dream anxiety, stress and strain, fever, menopause, pregnancy, iron deficiency, pregnancy, menstruation, heartburn, aging, anxiety, chronic pain, enlarged prostate, late shift work, sleeping too much during day time, medications like ephedrine, jet lag etc.
What should one do for sound sleep? Let us discuss about the home and herbal remedies and about some techniques which one needs to adopt for sound sleep.
Home herbal remedies for Sleep –
– Herbal teas containing Chamomile, Passion flower and lemon balm are advisable. If the tea is not available then try to take the herbal supplements containing the aforesaid herbs.
– The use of lavender oil for its smell in the bed room is advisable.
– Try to do deep breathing exercises.
– Many times disturbed sleep is due to stress and strain. So take a combination of Abutilon indicum, Tulsee and Sida cordifolia in equal parts. Add Ashwagandha to it. Take this powder with honey or make a tea of this combination. If this is not available in powdered form, take an Herbal supplement containing these ingredients.
– Mix the powder of Centella asiatica, Convolvulus pluricaulis and Nardostachys Jatamansi (Spikenard). Take it with milk or honey.
– Massage feet with Cucumber daily.
– The massage of the head with Ayurvedic Brahmi oil, Jatamansi oil is advisable before going to bed.
– Drink warm milk with a little bit of Nutmeg before going to bed, for Vata constitution. For Pitta constitution add Cardamom and for Kapha constitution add dry ginger.
– Try to establish a regular bed time routine, also in the weekends.
– Warm relaxing bath is advisable.
– Valerian root is useful for sound sleep. If restlessness occurs, stop the use of this herb.
– Take a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts.
– Do meditation and yoga.
– Listen to soothing music.
– Wear comfortable clothes.
– Avoid drinking coffee or alcohol before going to bed.
– Eat raw cabbage salad.
– Avoid sleeping during day time.
– Passion Flower is useful in minor sleep problems.
– Avoid chocolate cocoa milk drinks as they often contain caffeine.
– Poppy seeds extracts, essential oils of rose and sandal are relaxing and calming. Use them in any convenient form.
– Deficiency of B Vitamins like B6, B12 and Folic acid may produce insomnia. So correct the deficiency of these Vitamins.
Nardostachys Jatamansi (Spikenard) is useful for headaches, convulsion and sleeplessness. It is a good substitute for Valerian. One can also take this as an herbal Supplement.
Convolvulus pluricaulis has an anti-anxiety effect. Effective in Anxiety neurosis conditions. In large doses, it acts as a sedative. Helps to reduce different types of stress related problems.
Ashwagandha has an adaptogenic property which means that it has been found to enhance survival during stress. Take as an herbal supplement.
I hope the home and herbal remedies listed above for sleep are useful to all people. In many situations it is advisable to seek the help of a Medical Doctor.
Dr. Deo is an expert Herbalist, a consultant and the author of this page.
All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.