Home Remedies for Depression
This article is about depression, causes, symptoms and some of the home and herbal remedies that can be followed by all for better health.
Depression: A state of being depressed; a state of feeling sad; a psychoneurotic or psychotic disorder marked by sadness, inactivity, difficulty thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feeling of dejection and hopelessness, sometimes accompanied by suicidal thoughts or an attempt to commit suicide, a reduction in functional activity, amount, quality or force.
Causes: Traumatic events such as loss of a job, social isolation, and certain medications like beta blockers can increase the risk of depression, personal conflicts, neurological disorders, nutritional deficiency of B12 or B6, Pre menstrual syndrome, genetics, stressful events, health problems like cancer, heart disease, thyroid problems, chronic pain etc. increase the risk of depression.
Symptoms : Continuously in sad mood, feeling hopeless, feeling guilty, inability to concentrate, feeling of getting run down, not getting any enjoyment out of life, change in appetite or in sleeping pattern, having difficulty in maintaining relations within the family or with friends, lack of interest in sex, feeling anxious, suicidal thoughts etc.
– Learn to laugh.
– Studies done on depression found that people, who have a low level of selenium, become more anxious and depressed. So intake of selenium products like Brazil nuts, oysters and sunflower seed should help.
– Take well balanced diet which includes antioxidants, multivitamins and mineral supplements.
– For normal brain function, omega 3 fatty acids are essential. Studies suggest that omega 3 fatty acids when taken along with antidepressants may be more effective than antidepressants alone. Cold water fish like Salmon, Anchovies and soya products are the richest source of omega3 fatty acids, it is also found in flaxseed.
– Folic acid deficiency is always present in the depressed people; hence use of green leafy vegetables, fruits, beans, is one of the best natural remedies for depression.
– Reduce the intake of sugary foods.
– Magnesium is necessary for serotonin production. Many people don’t get enough amount of magnesium, so eat more of whole grains and green vegetables.
Herbal remedies for depression –
These herbal remedies listed below for depression have a lot of scientific basis. Read on-
– Acorus calamus– Department of Medicine Institute of Medical sciences BHU, Varanasi conducted clinical trial of Acorus calamus (Vacha) on 50 people that had depression. Over a period of six weeks treatment and one and a half year of follow up showed a significant improvement in the subjects’ degree of depression. This is one of the best herbal remedies for depression.
– Mucuna pruriens– Results suggest that the herb increased the level of dopamine, serotonin and other catecholamine in the brain and body to the extent that it induces mood elevation and relieved depression.
– Ashwagandha– People who have symptoms of sleep disturbance, anxiety can take the powder or as an herbal supplement.
– Lemon Balm– It is useful to relieve dyspepsia related to depression. It is widely valued for its calming property.
– Oats: Are useful in nervous debility and exhaustion associated with depression. It strengthens the nervous system.
I hope the above herbal and home remedies help one and all that have this condition of depression. Again, in most cases it is advisable to seek the advice of a medical Doctor.
Dr. Deo is an expert Herbalist, a consultant and the author of this page.
All the information provided above and opinions expressed above should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.