Home remedies for Cholesterol
This article is about bad Cholesterol, and some of the home and herbal remedies that can be followed by all for better health.
Cholesterol: A steroidal alcohol, present in animal cells and body fluids, that regulates membrane fluidity. It functions as a precursor molecule in various metabolic pathways, and as a constituent of LDL, it may cause arteriosclerosis.
Causes: Obesity, excessive intake of alcohol, stress and strain, hereditary, fat rich food.
Symptoms: It is a silent condition, does not give any early warnings, plaque formed can damage and clog the arteries. The main problem which occurs due to increased cholesterol is Heart disease. To reduce cholesterol, dietary habits should be changed. Let us discuss about some home herbal remedies which are known to decrease bad cholesterol.
Home and herbal remedies for Cholesterol –
– Eat garlic on an empty stomach early in the morning. Fibers from the outer skin of onion and garlic lower total lipids, total cholesterol and glyceride levels of plasma and tissues in rats. If clove of garlic is not available take a Garlic herbal Supplements.
– Eating Onions is also advisable. Continuous consumption of onions for months (80g daily) decreases serum cholesterol below normal in healthy humans.
– If it suits one, take a pinch of Turmeric or Curcuma longa powder. Curcumin lowers serum cholesterol and also acts as antioxidant and helps to lower blood sugar level. If powder of Turmeric is not available, take supplements.
– Drink Soya milk daily.
– Barley is also beneficial.
– Stop smoking.
– Soak 2 teaspoonfuls of coriander seeds in a glass of water. Keep it overnight. Filter it early in the morning and drink it.
– Coenzyme Q10 is noted to reduce total cholesterol serum levels.
– Take Carrot and Spinach juice daily.
– Have Oatmeal regularly.
– Green tea is also effective to lower increased cholesterol. A study performed in Brazil where people were given green tea extract in capsule form resulted in 4.5% lowering of LDL cholesterol levels.
– Eat Salmon which is rich in omega 3 fatty acids.
– Take whole grain bread, whole wheat flour and brown rice.
– Green Beans have an ample amount of soluble fiber that helps to control and to reduce high cholesterol levels.
– Krill Oil – Some studies show that it has a potential benefit in maintaining healthy cholesterol as it contains omega 3 fatty acids. It also contains antioxidant called astaxantuin.
– Red rice yeast – It is made by fermenting a type of red yeast called Monascus purpureous over rice. Pregnant women, Children, Nursing women should not use this. It helps to lower increased cholesterol level.
– Grape seed extract is also effective to lower increased cholesterol level. If the seed extract is not available, then Supplements should be taken.
– Cynarine is a hydroxycinnamic acid and the biologically active constituent ofArtichokes. European scientists first documented cynarin’s ability to lower cholesterol in humans.
I hope the home herbal remedies listed above for cholesterol are useful to all people. In many situations it is advisable to seek the help of a Medical Doctor.
Dr. Deo is an expert Herbalist, a consultant and the author of this page.
All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. Any statements made above have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Any products discussed above are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.